Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Top 10 reasons to live in the south!!!!

I love all things southern! I am firm believer that the best place in the world to live is below the Mason Dixon line. I also do not count Florida as a southern state, because you will most likely just find old people from the north there (sorry to those who love/ live in Florida). I was born and raised in a small town in GA by two people who were born and raised in Savannah, GA so needless to say southern runs in my blood. When I was a senior in high school and looking at colleges my only deal breaker was that the school had to be in the south. So true to form my top 4 schools were Presbyterian College in SC, Sewanee, The University of the South, in TN, Auburn, and Alabama. I got into all four but choose to go to PC and never regretted that decision, as it only proved my love for all this southern and fratty! So without further ado here are my top 10 reason to live in the south...

1. Sweet Tea

2. Pearls...yes I know these can be found anywhere, but in the south they are part of our everyday attire.

3. Charleston, SC...enough said

4. East coast beaches, only a true southern would love them over the gulf.

5. College football, especially the SEC.

6. Fashion Rules. To those that do not know what these are I will give you a few examples...

*ABSOLUTY NO white after labor day and before Easter, this rule also applies to Lilly, unless it is "winter white" or fall/winter Lilly.

*Blue on Blue is a no go!!!

*No denim on denim.

*Brown and black do not go together...please note brown and tan are two different colors. Tan and black go great together! The ONLY exception to this rule is jackets...you can wear a black jacket with brown and vice versa.

7. Bow Ties and Seersucker

8. In most places in the south you can get to the beach or the mountains in pretty much the same amount of time.

9. Screen Porches

10. One word...Hospitality

So with that I will leave you with this cute quote about southern girls...

"A southern girl is a girl who knows full and well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. After all, every girl wants to be treated like a princess. We know how to make sweet tea and grits while telling you everything about any football team in the SEC. We pick our battles and fight with the heart of a pit bull while still maintaining grace and elegance. Our mystique is that of a soft-spoken, mild-mannered southern bell who could direct an army, loves her momma and will always be daddy's little girl."

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment: